Hiring a private investigator is something most people will never do or think they will ever have the need to do. However anyone who suspects that their husband or wife may be seeing someone else and would like confirmation may find it very useful to hire private detectives to get the answers they need. A company director may have suspicions that a member of staff may be claiming sick leave when in fact that person is perfectly fit and able and maybe working elsewhere for extra income. You may wish to locate an old friend or loved one who you haven’t seen for many years, in fact there may be many reasons why an investigation company could help.
Currently anyone can set up as a ‘professional private detective’ as there are no regulations in place or the need for a license. This may well change some time in the future as the Security Industry Authority is looking to implement licensing within the industry. If you are thinking of calling an investigator for the purpose of finding the truth you must be sure that the investigation firm you are talking to is professional and trustworthy. To ensure you employ the correct company there are a few simple questions that you can ask that will prove very useful and things to look out for on their website:
- Do they have full contact details on their website, phone numbers (landlines, not just a mobile) and addresses?
- Do they have terms and conditions on their website?
- Do they have Professional Indeminity Insurance?
- Do they have a Data Protection Authority Registration Number?
- Do they belong to a professional association within the industry?
- Always agree a price before instructing them and ensure there will be no ‘hidden extras’ to pay for.
- Do they have a client agreement form you can sign, this ensures both parties agree to the instruction and costs involved.
- Can you pay by credit or debit card or bank transfer or cheque. Not just cash!
- Can you go to their office for a meeting?
If they answer YES to all of the above you will find that you shouldn’t experience any difficulties and your assignment will be handled professionally and confidentially. So before you commit to hiring a private detective do your homework and don’t be afraid to ask a few questions.